[libvoikko] Installation and removal of openoffice.org-voikko in Debian and Ubuntu

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 13:38:00 EEST 2010

2010/6/18 Timo Jyrinki <timo.jyrinki at gmail.com>:
>> I have not seen these compatibility problems myself in a long time and I
>> believe it might be safe to uninstall ooo-voikko from Lenny with OOo from
>> Squeeze. If the same can be assumed to be true for upgrade to Squeeze+1 then
>> it would be possible to move everything from preinst and prerm to postinst
>> and postrm and remove Pre-Depends from ooo-voikko in Squeeze, right?
>
> I'm not certain, these complex dependencies (including the current
> Conflicts generation) are... complex. But sounds sensible. I tried
> preparing such a package for testing dist-upgrade (with my local extra
> repository), but the dist-upgrade of lenny default install to squeeze
> seems anyway broken at the moment. I'll try it at some point later.

I prepared 3.1.2 some time ago with also these changes and tested
Debian 5.0 (lenny) -> Debian 6.0 dev version (squeeze) upgrade
successfully (note you will need to touch /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade for
successful dist-upgrade testing), but now squeeze archives were
frozen.

Now earlier this week I also tested plain lenny -> squeeze upgrade,
and to my surprise dist-upgrade worked problem-free this time with the
old ooo-voikko. This means that unless someone is able to create
release-critical bug against openoffice.org-voikko, squeeze will
release with the older 3.1.1 since I'm currently unable to create an
error during dist-upgrade or have the dependency cycle error during
calculation of dist-upgrade.

> For Ubuntu, they can as a last resort just do update-manager quirk to
> remove ooo-voikko in the beginning of the installation and install the
> new version at the end. There is a bug against update-manager open.
> 8.04 LTS -> 10.04 LTS upgrades will start to be offered at the change
> of July-August (when 10.04.1 is released), so there is time until
> that.

Unfortunately 10.04.1 is being released today and the bug #562948 [1]
hasn't been fixed yet. This means Finnish users will consume quite a
lot of bandwidth downloading the 10.04.1 upgrade and then getting
error (and the system restores the original state).

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/562948

-Timo