[libvoikko] Wiki pages related to libvoikko

Francis Tyers ftyers at prompsit.com
Wed Feb 24 22:29:06 EET 2010

El dc 24 de 02 de 2010 a les 23:21 +0200, en/na Harri Pitkänen va
escriure:
> On Wednesday 24 February 2010 20:12:49 Francis Tyers wrote:
> > There are more HFST based morphologies in the Giellatekno SVN:
> >
> >   https://victorio.uit.no/langtech/trunk/st
> >
> > At least the 'fao' and 'kal' would be usable I think -- although 'kal'
> > is with Foma, not HFST 'proper'.
>
> There appears to be licensing issues with both of them. Fao does not seem to
> have any copyright information in it, kal has copyright notice in one file
> (src/twol-kal.txt) and that seems to indicate the file being proprietary
> source from Lingsoft, not GPL.

The FAO one the lemma list is not free (yet), but the twol rules are.

The KAL one is as far as I know GPL -- although the directories should
contain licences you're right.

> Initial quality of implementation is not so important to me, but licensing
> must be clear from the beginning so that I know wee can safely distribute the
> material under a free license. Hopefully these issues can be resolved easily
> by providing a list of copyright holders and an explicit license text along
> with the source files.

Agree.

> Although I have not tested it yet, Foma seems to be OK as a backend library as
> its license is compatible with libvoikko even if it would not be compatible
> with the rest of HFST.

How hard would it be to add another backend library to libvoikko ? We
have quite a few analysers in the Apertium project (with explicit GPL
licensing -- mostly v2 or later), it would be interesting to be able to
include them. Here is a code snippet that calls the library for a given
(platform-independent compiled binary):

http://wiki.apertium.org/wiki/Lttoolbox#Using_as_a_library

Fran