[libvoikko] Libvoikko 2.3rc1

Harri Pitkänen hatapitk at iki.fi
Sun Jan 31 18:20:06 EET 2010

On Sunday 31 January 2010, Marko Wallin wrote:
> I didn't write a patch to do that but added LDFLAGS="-liconv" to make
> install which did the trick.
>
> I quickly tested mozvoikko with libvoikko 2.3rc1 and now it seems to
> work out of the box also on OS X. Previously you had to place needed
> libs (glib, libiconv etc.) to /usr/local/lib.

Good to hear it's working now. Since the LDFLAGS="-liconv" workaround is so
simple we can skip the patch and leave this as a known issue for 2.3 affecting
OS X and BSD systems. The problem should go away in version 3.0.

Do you use BSD or GNU iconv? I'm not sure which one (if either) is included by
default in OS X but most probably it is the BSD variant. Libvoikko can be
built with both variants but you need to have the same variant available
during runtime. Our build instructions at
  http://voikko.sourceforge.net/source-mac.html
tell you to build the GNU iconv. If want to have the binaries to work out of
the box on other systems than your own you may want to make sure that you do
NOT do this. Remove the GNU iconv (if you have installed it) before building
libvoikko, this should ensure that the BSD variant is used.

I suppose we should update those instructions some day.