[libvoikko] Sámi/HFST , anything new?

Flammie Pirinen flammie at iki.fi
Wed Jun 2 18:10:06 EEST 2010

2010-06-02, Harri Pitkänen sanoi:

> On Wednesday 02 June 2010, Flammie Pirinen wrote:
> > GPLv2 or at your opinion any later version can be interpreted as
> > GPLv3 if someone wants to take the incompatibility of GPLv2 vs.
> > Apache 2 stance.
>
> That's true, but implementations/foma/apply.c (and other Foma files)
> says this:
>
> /*     Foma is free software: you can redistribute it and/or
> modify /*     it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
> version 2 as /*     published by the Free Software Foundation. */
>
> So Foma is not "GPLv2 or at your opinion any later version", it is
> only GPLv2.

Ah, indeed. I was assuming wrongly and stand corrected.

> > Furthermore openfst is copied verbatim from the distribution
> > and merely linked, currently statically, to libhfst. If this
> > appears to be problematic we should probably finally take the time
> > move it to dynamic linking and unbundle and require end users to
> > have openfst libraries and headers installed.
>
> This may not be enough for Linux distributions. They don't usually
> distribute programs that depend on GPL libraries if the program is
> not compatible with that license. There could be exceptions (if the
> program can somehow be shown to not be a derived work of the library
> or something like that), I don't know if this would fall into that
> category.

Well, I spent some half an hour fiddling the openfst out of hfst3
source tree, it seems that on my development machine solely linking
against libfst.so and libfstmain.so works.

> Even if the situation could not be solved in a way that would allow
> including HFST 3 in Fedora or Debian it is still possible to have the
> HFST backend enabled in libvoikko. Users could then install the
> morphologies manually or distributions could include HFST 2 and those
> morphologies that can be built with it. But naturally this would not
> be an ideal solution.

Yes and as said, target is indeed to have voikko link libhfstol only,
which also works around this problem.
--
Flammie, computer scientist bachelor, linguist master, free software
Finnish localiser, and more! <http://www.iki.fi/flammie/>