[libvoikko] Sámi/HFST , anything new?

Harri Pitkänen hatapitk at iki.fi
Wed Jun 2 20:12:52 EEST 2010

On Wednesday 02 June 2010, Flammie Pirinen wrote:
> I mean best we can
> do, assuming conflicting licence stuff will stay in external backend
> libraries, is to make all backends external and optional, so
> distribution makers, who actually deal with binary redistribution, can
> disable the conflicting set of backend libraries as they see fit.
> Because AFAIK the only problem with this licence conflict is about
> redistribution of binaries.

This sounds like a good solution if it indeed is technically possible. Such
things have been done to other software packages too. Debian for example has
separate GnuTLS and OpenSSL binary packages of some network libraries for very
similar reasons.

> But I don't know if this discussion really is on topic here or going
> anywhere. Maybe if it needs to be carried on, the newly-born
> hfst-development at lists.sourceforge.net would be more appropriate?

This seems reasonable, but would it be possible to make the list public? When
I try to access the archives I get "Access to this page is restricted (either
to project members or to project administrators) and you do not meet the
requirements to access this page. Please contact the administrator of this
project for further assistance. "