[libvoikko] Sámi/HFST

Harri Pitkänen hatapitk at iki.fi
Sun Jun 6 20:24:03 EEST 2010

On Wednesday 02 June 2010, Sjur Moshagen wrote:
> Den 1. jun. 2010 kl. 23.26 skrev Harri Pitkänen:
> > Are there any news on using Sámi/HFST with libvoikko? I have been
> > following changes in victorio.uit.no SVN repository and saw some testing
> > stuff but could not figure out whether it works or not.
>
> It is not yet finished, and it does not work at the moment. I'll try to
> return to this soon.

I tried to get Sámi/HFST running here and failed. The first problem was that
running "make hfst TARGET=sme" under https://victorio.uit.no/langtech/trunk/gt
needs so much memory that 2 GB seems to not be enough. Since I do not have
access to any computer with more memory than that I had to download
precompiled binaries from hfst.sf.net. Those did not work with Voikko due to
wrong transducer format:

  ERROR: FstHeader::Read: Bad FST header: <unspecfied>

The package contains a binary transducer in optimized-lookup format too but
that does not (yet) work with libvoikko. So my guess is that there is not much
that can be tested before optimized-lookup library is ready and libvoikko is
ported to use that instead of HFST 2.