[libvoikko] Replacing SVN with Git for version control

Harri Pitkänen hatapitk at iki.fi
Tue Mar 2 21:58:27 EET 2010

I have been thinking about switching some components of Voikko from Subversion
to Git. If I remember correctly Teemu suggested the switch almost two years
ago. Back then I did not want to do that because Git was relatively new. Not
very many developers (including me) knew how to use it, support for Windows
and IDEs was poor and there were no established hosting sites for Git
repositories (not that you necessarily need them with Git).

Now things have changed. I and many others have learned Git, tools are
available, SourceForge supports Git and there are sites like Github. It seems
like at least libvoikko might benefit from using Git because multiple backends
are being developed but I remain the only one with commit access to SVN.

The biggest problem right now is tests. The Git philosophy is against large
multi project repositories like the Voikko SVN is right now. With Git we
should have separate repository for each component. But many of Finnish spell
checking tests and testing tools are shared between libvoikko and Suomi-
malaga. If libvoikko was in Git I could no longer commit the tests and code at
the same time. But I can live with that especially since many of the more
recent tests for libvoikko are actually in the libvoikko sources.

Would any of you who currently write patches for libvoikko or indent to do so
in the future prefer using Git instead of SVN?