[libvoikko] Idea: Google Native Client port of libvoikko

Harri Pitkänen hatapitk at iki.fi
Mon Aug 15 20:52:03 EEST 2011

I'm interested in porting libvoikko to a Google native client module:

http://code.google.com/intl/en/chrome/nativeclient/docs/technical_overview.html

There are lots of interesting things one could do with such port. The most
prominent in my mind would be a browser based spell checker that
- would not require installing browser extensions
- would not require web application developer to run spell checker on the
server
- would not expose sensitive information to third party spelling service
provider.
All of the existing solutions fail to meet at least one of the listed
requirements.

I imagine that porting should be fairly easy since without experimental
backends libvoikko has no dependencies other than standard C++ libraries.

The only real porting work seems to be in the code for reading
dictionaries. We would need to come up with additional initialization
function that receives the entire dictionary as a single string parameter
since file I/O is not yet allowed in the sandboxed environment.

Since I'm extremely busy right now I will not be able to work on this right
now. If someone likes to try this out, let me know. Sources for libvoikko
are available from our SVN repository and GIT mirror. In case nobody steps
up I'll try to work on this later this year.