[libvoikko] libreoffice-voikko 3.2rc1

Harri Pitkänen hatapitk at iki.fi
Sun Feb 13 21:15:14 EET 2011

On Sunday 13 February 2011, Flammie Pirinen wrote:
> Personally I don't mind either way about such UI issues, but the thing
> I'm trying next is packaging these dictionaries and plugin for less
> computer savvy end-users so I might need to add localised pages or
> modified logos, if this is acceptable. Otherwise I will mostly be
> using the libreoffice-voikko and libvoikko (and hfst-ospell) as they
> are in released versions.

I don't see any problems with modifying the logo. The sources come with source
svg file (oxt/icon.svg) so it is easy to remove the Finnish flag. Other files
containing references to Finnish are oxt/description.xml.template and the
license files oxt/license_*.txt (only needed for standalone distribution). You
might also want to provide translations for some translatable stuff.

Actually just yesterday I talked with a person who needs to design a logo as a
part of her studies. I told her that Voikko needs an internationalized logo so
with luck we might get a more professional one for the next release.

One technical issue that complicates support for multiple languages is that
you cannot install simultaneously more than one version of this extension.
This is not a problem on Linux but on Windows or OS X this is a bit more
complicated:
- One option is to put all dictionaries in one extension. Could become quite
large if you want to support many languages.
- Another is that you provide separate extension for each language and provide
additional dictionary packs for the cases when someone needs to check more
than one language through Voikko.
- Or provide a simple web interface where user can choose which languages
should be included and the extension is created on the fly to contain just
those languages.
- Or we could just develop a better way of installing these things on these
platforms, one that would help Firefox users too.