[libvoikko] ooovoikko+hfst+dictionaries packages (was: Re: libreoffice-voikko 3.2rc1)

Harri Pitkänen hatapitk at iki.fi
Mon Feb 21 20:26:26 EET 2011

On Monday 21 February 2011, Flammie Pirinen wrote:
> I've been trying to get windows version to work as well, but it
> doesn't seem to work for me and I have no skills to debug stuff on
> windows. AFAICS it doesn't even start to load the automata but
> recognises the configuration, so probably hfst bug here. (broken
> version similarly at
> <http://www.helsinki.fi/~tapirine/tmp/voikko-kl-win32.oxt

At least that one links against the debug libraries for quite recent version
of MSVC. Unlike on Linux, debug binaries cannot be run on ordinary Windows
systems (they only work if the debug versions of runtime libraries are
installed).

Additionally I'm not sure if the compiler you are using is too new to be used
with OOo. Support for the most recent MSVC was just added to LibreOffice in
the development trunk but it is not yet present in any released version of
OOo/LibreOffice.

> All in all if we get the windows port functioning, I think these
> bundles of ooovoikko and selected dictionaries may be good for average
> end users. The advanced end users and linux distributions may opt for
> separated libraries, plugins and dictionaries.

One thing I really would recommend is to disable loading of external
dictionaries from extensions that are distributed to end users. This is
because you are using experimental features and dictionary formats which will
very likely not be compatible with the stable formats. If someone happens to
have current or future stable dictionaries somewhere there will be problems...
I can add build option for disabling the external dictionary loading in
libvoikko.