[libvoikko] ooovoikko+hfst+dictionaries packages (was: Re: libreoffice-voikko 3.2rc1)

Flammie Pirinen flammie at iki.fi
Mon Feb 21 21:06:32 EET 2011

Well, I kind of followed the instructions here <http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/voikko/wiki/build/windows
 >, but I didn't find other than the debug versions of libraries after
building (in msvc\Debug\). This might just be that I don't know how to
use visual studio yet, the last time I used it was with version 6.0
and it had easier user interface for just compiling the project :-)

> Additionally I'm not sure if the compiler you are using is too new
> to be used
> with OOo. Support for the most recent MSVC was just added to
> LibreOffice in
> the development trunk but it is not yet present in any released
> version of
> OOo/LibreOffice.

I tried visual studio express 2010 first but with it ooo build
actually errors out that version of visual studio is too new, so I
rebuilt everything with visual studio express 2008, which is actually
oldest you can download from microsoft's site. This version doesn't at
least complain when compiling.

>> All in all if we get the windows port functioning, I think these
>> bundles of ooovoikko and selected dictionaries may be good for
>> average
>> end users. The advanced end users and linux distributions may opt for
>> separated libraries, plugins and dictionaries.
>
> One thing I really would recommend is to disable loading of external
> dictionaries from extensions that are distributed to end users. This
> is
> because you are using experimental features and dictionary formats
> which will
> very likely not be compatible with the stable formats. If someone
> happens to
> have current or future stable dictionaries somewhere there will be
> problems...
> I can add build option for disabling the external dictionary loading
> in
> libvoikko.

Fair enough, that will also make my alpha testing easier as I don't
have to move around my dictionaries.