[libvoikko] Libreoffice-voikko binaries

Sjur Moshagen sjurnm at mac.com
Fri Sep 9 17:25:20 EEST 2011

Den 9. sep. 2011 kl. 16.40 skrev Harri Pitkänen:

>>> Libreoffice-voikko 3.2 (2011-02-18)
>>
>> but I can't seem to find it on any of the download pages (Win, Mac, Linux).
>> The Windows and Mac pages have older versions. Is it available for
>> download as a precompiled oxt, or is it only via source code?
>
> Only as source code. We don't provide any official binaries and those who do
> will often skip releases for various reasons.

Ok.

> LibreOffice project will announce its extension repository soon. Since I'm
> involved with that project as well I have started to consider whether we
> should publish Voikko extensions for different operating systems and languages
> as a semi-official team. Obviously there are Mac users of Voikko these days so
> it might be a reasonable thing to do. I could handle the Windows versions,
> anyone interested in helping with Mac builds?

Since we have a lot of Macs in our team, and an interest in getting this out to our end users, I guess we (that is, the Divvun team) could at least try and see how it develops (exceptionally Cc-ing the Divvun team so they are informed).

Since I have worked out (and documented) how to build the prerequisites of ooovoikko including hfst support and universal binaries, it should not be impossible to maintain. There will certainly be issues, esp. related to supporting older systems (LibreOffice supports MacOS 10.4 and ppc processors, I have only compiled for Intel & 10.5 so far, but I guess I will have to redo that to also suppport ppc and earlier OS releases).

We'll try. Questions will be posted here:)

As the number of laguages covered by the Libreoffice-voikko extension is about to increase (possibly quite a lot), the question is whether one should split the library from the languages. I think this question has been raised and discussed earlier, but I am unable to find any pointers now, and I don't think a conclusion was reached.

Sjur