[libvoikko] Libreoffice-voikko binaries

Sjur Moshagen sjurnm at mac.com
Mon Sep 12 11:47:03 EEST 2011

Den 11. sep. 2011 kl. 22.56 skrev Harri Pitkänen:

>> Since I have worked out (and documented) how to build the prerequisites of
>> ooovoikko including hfst support and universal binaries, it should not be
>> impossible to maintain. There will certainly be issues, esp. related to
>> supporting older systems (LibreOffice supports MacOS 10.4 and ppc
>> processors, I have only compiled for Intel & 10.5 so far, but I guess I
>> will have to redo that to also suppport ppc and earlier OS releases).
>
> It is unclear how long LibreOffice will support 10.4 and in any case lots of
> others (Mozilla, Adobe etc.) seem to have dropped the support for it and/or
> PPC processors. In fact openoffice.org/libreoffce-voikko has never even been
> tested on PPC Macs, I doubt it would even build there.
>
> I would say don't worry about older systems if you are more comfortable and
> productive working with 10.5.

Ok, I'll take that as a starting point, and see how things develop.

As the number of laguages covered by the Libreoffice-voikko extension is
>> about to increase (possibly quite a lot), the question is whether one
>> should split the library from the languages. I think this question has
>> been raised and discussed earlier, but I am unable to find any pointers
>> now, and I don't think a conclusion was reached.
>
> Installing just one extension is easier for users than installing extension
> and dictionaries separately. Thus I think we should offer multiple extensions
> containing the library and dictionary or dictionaries for single language.
> This provides the best user experience for typical users with simple needs.
>
> For those who need to write in multiple languages covered by Voikko we have to
> provide separate dictionary packs. Those would be application independent
> packages instead of LibreOffice extensions.

This sounds like a good arrangement - simple all-inclusive packages for monolingual needs, additional language/dictionary-only packs for multilingual needs.

> If the number of supported languages starts to grow significantly I will start
> writing patches to move the library code directly into LibreOffice. Should
> they be accepted into LibreOffice, LibreOffice-voikko would become gradually
> obsolete which of course would be excellent.

:)

> But let's see if/when that
> happens. It's quite possible that we still need to revise the dictionary
> format to make it truly competetive with Hunspell. Such revisions are much
> easier to make while the code is not yet part of the core product.

True.

Sjur