[libvoikko] Libvoikko compiled for Android

Sjur Moshagen sjurnm at mac.com
Mon Aug 6 17:39:46 EEST 2012

Den 4. aug 2012 kl. 22:17 skrev Harri Pitkänen:

> I have successfully built libvoikko for Android.

This is very great news!

> For now the dictionaries need to be installed on a SD card. Libvoikko
> cannot read them directly from the installed package file. I need to make
> our dictionary loader more flexible so that we can ship dictionaries
> within the application package and load them with AssetManager. This
> should not be too difficult but it will require some explicit support in
> all backends.

Ok.

> Only backends that do not require any external libraries (VFST and Malaga)
> have been built for now. Supporting other backends is slightly more
> complicated but definitely possible. Is anyone interested in having HFST
> spellers for Android? This is mostly useful for recent Androids (4.0 or
> later) since these have a system spell checker framework that can be
> extended with custom implementations.

HFST spellers for Android - what can I say... we couldn't be more happy :)

We have got a gentle push to make sure the most common mobile OS's have proper support for the Sámi languages (none of them do at present), and adding keyboards and spell checkers to Android is the first part of that project. We already have some preliminary keyboard layout design, and we're just starting to look at the implementation. Adding a working speller checker would be the next thing, and we have briefly looked at how this is presently done for Norwegian (list-based it seems). Having HFST transducers directly in there would be a huge thing for us:)

By HFST spellers - do you mean *.zhfst files?

Sjur