[libvoikko] HFST packaging (WAS: Libvoikko 3.6, libreoffice-voikko 3.4)

Harri Pitkänen hatapitk at iki.fi
Thu Sep 5 22:22:59 EEST 2013

On Wednesday 22 May 2013 18:28:31 Timo Jyrinki wrote:
> If anyone is planning / wants to package hfst & hfst-ospell to
> Debian/Ubuntu, please ping me when it's there and libvoikko support for it
> could be enabled. If needed, I can also certainly help with sponsoring -
> that is, when you have a shiny, lintian clean packaging working with the
> upstream tarball but lack upload rights.

I finally looked into this and found this in configure.ac of Hfst3 sources:

  AS_IF([test "x$with_foma" != "xno" -a "x$with_openfst" != "xno"],
        [AC_MSG_WARN([foma licensing exception is limited to HFST team’s
   redistribution; if you consider GPLv2 strict and Apache licence conflicting
   you may not _redistribute_ your binaries])])

It looks like to be distributable (at least in Debian) it would be necessary
to disable support for Foma.

I'd like to know if there are any zhfst spellers that can be built if Hfst
tools are configured --without-foma? At least Omorfi failed to build for me.
If there are none, I think there is no sense in continuing this effort.