[libvoikko] grammar checking in libvoikko

Francis Tyers ftyers at prompsit.com
Mon Sep 16 14:45:31 EEST 2013

Hello all!

The Divvun group and the university of Tromsø is working on a grammar
checker for North Sámi.

The grammar checker is implemented in constraint grammar, built on top
of HFST morphological analysis.

The rules[1] look like this:

ADD:number_congruence (&syn-number_congruence) TARGET HNOUN OR A IF (0
HUMAN + Sg)(-1 (N Gen) + PLACE LINK 0 Pl) ;
    # The modifier (-1) is plural and head (0) is singular
    # singular - plural would have worked

They add a tag (e.g. &syn-number_congruence) when an error is detected.

I would like to include this in libvoikko, but have some questions:

* Is the full analysis of HFST morphologies available through libvoikko,
or do we just have access to the surface string ?
* I see there is some existing work in libvoikko/src/grammar/ -- could /
should this infrastructure be reused ?
* Implementing this will involve adding a dependency on vislcg3 -- what
is the best way that this could be done ?

Best regards,

Fran

1. https://victorio.uit.no/langtech/trunk/gt/sme/src/sme-gramchk.rle