[libvoikko] Relation between spelling and grammar checkers

Francis Tyers ftyers at prompsit.com
Sun Sep 22 11:35:18 EEST 2013

El dj 19 de 09 de 2013 a les 22:19 +0200, en/na Sjur Moshagen va
escriure:
> 19. sep. 2013 kl. 21:55 skrev Harri Pitkänen <hatapitk at iki.fi>:
>
> > 1) During dictionary loading both dictionaries are loaded and wired into the
> >    same voikko_options_t structure. This would be quite easy to implement.
> >    * There is one complicated corner case though: what if the language tags
> >      represent different variants of the same dictionary? If user requested
> >      "sme-x-medicine" and we have only medical spell checker but standard
> >      grammar checker, can the standard grammar checker be used as a
> >      substitute?
> >
> > 2) We can also require that all grammar checkers must also provide a spell
> >    checker. This will simplify the logic: format 4 would always hide a
> >    format 3 dictionary if they have the same language tag.
> >    * The variant issue would still be present. We might have a spell checker
> >      in format 3 for some variant and only standard dictionary in format 4.
>
> I would go for 2). The main reasoning is that you can then provide a spell
> checker together with the grammar checker that is tailored to work with the
> grammar checker. E.g. one can allow such a spell checker to be a bit more
> relaxed, if one knows that certain error patterns are better handled by the
> grammar checker. This would not be possible with option 1), because under
> that scenario we do not have any control of which version 3 dictionary is installed.

I'm in favour of (2) as well. The question then is, should the spell
checker be the morphological analyser used as input to the grammar
checker, or should it be another file? So far we have:

1) Descriptive morphological analyser
2) Disambiguation file
3) Grammar checker rule file
4) Suggestion file
5) Some kind of index/manifest

Should we add 'normative acceptor' to that ?

Fran