[libvoikko] Relation between spelling and grammar checkers

Francis Tyers ftyers at prompsit.com
Sun Sep 22 15:23:28 EEST 2013

El dj 19 de 09 de 2013 a les 22:55 +0300, en/na Harri Pitkänen va
escriure:
> A "dictionary" in libvoikko is from a high level view an object that
> associates a language tag with a subset of functionalities from the following
> list:
>
>  * Morphological analysis
>  * Spell checking
>  * Spelling correction
>  * Hyphenation
>  * Grammar checking
>  * Tokenization
>  * Identification of sentence boundaries
>
> As of now there have been only two kinds of dictionary objects:
>
>  - Format version 2 supports all of the functionality
>  - Format version 3 supports spell checking and spelling correction. If you
>    try to use other functions the library should not crash but the results are
>    more or less undefined.
>
> Now it seems to me that format version 4 would support morphological analysis
> and grammar checking. This introduces a problem that needs to be addressed:
> how to handle situations where we have dictionaries of format version 3 and 4
> for the same language tag?

Do you think that we should keep the name dictionary in this case ? I
know that changing the class name/type would mean quite a bit of
search/replace code fiddling, but in the long term it might be nice to
have a name something like "Proofer" or "ProofingEngine" (other
suggestions welcome).

Fran