[libvoikko] Changes to libreoffice-voikko for reliable (un)installation

Harri Pitkänen hatapitk at iki.fi
Fri Aug 29 17:04:04 EEST 2014

On Friday 29 August 2014 10:21:24 Sjur Moshagen wrote:
> I am building for LO 3.6-4.0 because you in an earlier e-mail said we should
> make that one work with hfst before we moved on to newer versions :)

I am trying to avoid the need to re-build libreoffice-voikko on Windows
because my old Windows laptop has serious hardware problems. It may take hours
of work and many reboots to get a single build out.

The bugs we had earlier were in ZHFST support of libvoikko. I wanted to get
those fixed first because they were more serious and it was easy for me to
produce and test new builds of libvoikko (I could do that on my Linux desktop
that has no stability problems).

But if we now have to fix anything in libreoffice-voikko it does not matter if
we move to the latest version or patch the old one; I have to re-build it
anyway.

> Anyway, I have now applied the following change:
>
> https://github.com/voikko/libreoffice-voikko/commit/5a8e3ae1df60ef1ae86e6aba
> ed6c690e8277df8e
>
> to the 3.4.1 source code, and rebuilt the oxt against the LO 3.6 SDK.
> Unfortunately the resulting files/binaries in the oxt are exactly the same
> as the old one - no change whatsoever reported by subversion when I tried
> to commit the new oxt template to our svn repository.
>
> How come? Is this code completely unused by the older versions of LO (SDK)?

It seems you picked the wrong commit... Between my original mail to this list
and your testing there were two other commits to master and you picked the
last one. That commit has no effect on anything earlier than LibreOffice 4.4.
The relevant commit is 10d58ff757f65f499fdad8a77dbc5651789f2bc2 (Switch to
passive component registration).

On Friday 29 August 2014 11:10:36 Sjur Moshagen wrote:
> I just recompiled the newest git sources against the LO 4.1 SDK, and the
> resulting OXT contained modified files (and one new file) compared to what
> I had in svn. Thus it seems that your change didn’t mean anything to the
> older SDK.

This was probably not because of the SDK version but the fact that the newest
sources also contain the passive component registration changes.

Anyway: did you try this OXT, is it possible to uninstall it cleanly? If it
is, I will try to find to old Windows laptop and start rebooting it, hoping to
have a complete build before it crashes for the last time and no longer boots
:)

> Do we need to support LO older than 4.1?

In my opinion no, we don't need to do that anymore. 4.1 and earlier are no
longer supported by LibreOffice upstream developers. So unless one has a
separate support contract or is using a Linux distribution with long term
support one should upgrade to at least 4.2 to get security fixes.