[libvoikko] Northern Sami in Webvoikko

Harri Pitkänen hatapitk at iki.fi
Sat Sep 27 16:57:07 EEST 2014

On Saturday 27 September 2014 11:59:40 Francis Tyers wrote:
> In terms of interfaces for online spell/grammar checking I've yet to see
> one better
> than the Softcatalà online corrector here:
>
> http://www.softcatala.org/corrector
>
> I'd highly recommend to copy their interface... or maybe they have
> something which can
> be used as-is ...

The Softcatalà corrector is indeed nicer when used with keyboard and mouse.
But I had problems with it when I tried to use it with touchscreen (Android
phone): clicking the underlined words usually just opens the on-screen
keyboard or magnifies the word, it does not offer corrections.

Webvoikko is a bit hard to use (especially with a small screen mobile devices)
because scrolling up and down is annoying. But it does work fully with all
sorts of devices which is something I have not yet seen with other similar
services. And it allows integrating the morphological analysis feature (which
we currently support only for Finnish).

But having separate input box and analysis areas is a problem. I will have to
think about how to solve it without breaking any features. One option would be
to have two states (editing mode and proofreading mode) and easy and fast
method for switching between them.