[libvoikko] Is is possible to specify multiple dictionary paths for ./configure?

Sjur Moshagen sjurnm at mac.com
Fri Jan 2 20:08:21 EET 2015

2. jan. 2015 kl. 18:10 skrev Harri Pitkänen <hatapitk at iki.fi>:

> On Friday 02 January 2015 09:36:12 Sjur Moshagen wrote:
>> Another question: what is the search order of the listed dirs? Which dir
>> will take precedence if a speller file for one language is found in
>> multiple locations?
>
> Reading "Search order for dictionary files" at
>
> https://github.com/voikko/corevoikko/blob/master/libvoikko/README
>
> will answer all of these questions.

Thanks. I knew it was specified somewher, but for some reason, I could not find the correct file.

> One thing that it does not explicitly mention is that ~ has no special meaning
> in any of these paths. It is interpreted literally unless you let the shell
> expand it before running configure. This is why
>  --with-dictionary-path=~/Library/Spelling/voikko
> does not do what you want. I would like to keep it that way because ~ is used
> on Windows when converting long file names to 8.3 format and it can appear in
> file and directory names on other platforms as well.

That is fine, and I don’t want it to expand at configure or compile time - my home dir is not your home dir :)

> But we could just decide that on OS X the user specific dictionary location
> (point 3 in the README) is
>  $HOME/Library/Spelling/voikko
> instead of
>  $HOME/.voikko
> Would that make sense? Using both would just be confusing. Or is there actual
> need for multiple user specific dictionary locations?

I think it needs to be both, for several reasons:

* $HOME/.voikko is what people expect when coming from a unix/linux world
* $HOME/.voikko is needed for backwards compatibility
* $HOME/Library/Spelling/voikko should definitely be recognised if/when /Library/Spelling/voikko is also recognised (and should take precedense)

If that could be arranged, that would be great :)

Sjur