[libvoikko] Mozvoikko 2.2

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 21:45:30 EEST 2015

> I still have no responses from the Ubuntu Firefox maintainer so I
> don't have clues. It looked pretty clear / "done" when testing only
> with Firefox 40...

I now have. It would seem mozvoikko would need "full review" instead
of preliminary review, does that sound like something doable?

< chrisccoulson> has mozvoikko had a preliminary review by the AMO
team, or a full review? Normally, addons
only require a preliminary review to be loaded in Firefox, but
side-loaded addons (those not
installed via the addon manager) require the more thorough full review
< chrisccoulson> tbh, it would be better if this addon was just hosted
on AMO like most other addons. The only
reasons this one remained in the archive when we dropped all of the
other Firefox extensions were
that it wasn't hosted on AMO, and contained a binary component
< chrisccoulson> The latter doesn't apply now (the addon is all JS)
< chrisccoulson> so, that mozvoikko hasn't been through a full review
and Firefox refuses to load it here when
installed via the package manager

At this point, I'd rely most of all on Chris' knowledge and
potentially ignore my ramblings with the test versions. I may be using
a wrong Firefox 41/42 version somehow, not what's going to be offered
to users eventually.

While he mentions the AMO option, the unanswered question is how that
could ever be in the default installation if it'd only be on AMO. I
now replied that it's a reason enough to keep mozvoikko in the
archives. Most average users wouldn't know about extensions, just the
fact of missing spell-checking in the browser.

But it would sound like a full review of the current mozvoikko 2.2
would resolve the problem.

-Timo