[libvoikko] HFST support to libvoikko in Debian and Ubuntu?

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 17:34:13 EEST 2016

> Until then, Ubuntu will be stuck with the old libvoikko version [5]
> and without HFST support, because I can't sync the new libvoikko from
> Debian before hfst-ospell has gone through the main inclusion process.
>
> [5] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libvoikko

Ubuntu 16.10's feature freeze is in one week [1], next Thursday. Since
I wanted to get the 4.0.2 bugfixes and speedups to it, I've now forked
Debian's libvoikko packaging into 'ubuntu' branch to keep status quo
in Ubuntu by continuing to disable HFST support [2].

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/YakketyYak/ReleaseSchedule
[2] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libvoikko/4.0.2-2ubuntu1

Once hfst-ospell's problems are resolved, HFST support can be
reconsidered for Ubuntu 17.04, development of which opens in October.
At that point Ubuntu could again use unmodified Debian sources.

-Timo