[libvoikko] HFST support to libvoikko in Debian and Ubuntu?

Tino Didriksen mail at tinodidriksen.com
Wed Feb 24 14:52:28 EET 2016

On 24 February 2016 at 12:59, Timo Jyrinki <timo.jyrinki at gmail.com> wrote:

> Secondly, I need to consider Ubuntu too when it comes to enabling new
> functionality in libvoikko. It's more complicated because Voikko is
> part of the 'main' repository (Canonical supported packages) due to
> being in the default Finnish installation. That means that all direct
> dependencies and build dependencies need to be in 'main' repository
> too. If I would now upload a new libvoikko to Debian, it couldn't be
> built in Ubuntu. And I don't want to fork libvoikko in Ubuntu to build
> without HFST.

Wouldn't it be easier to "remove" it all from the main Ubuntu repo and let
it fall back to being pulled from Debian, since it's all available in
Debian anyway?

> Thirdly, just another "would be nice to know" detail, is there a plan
> when hfst-ospell would move to Debian unstable? Otherwise it won't get
> to be available in Ubuntu.

CC'ed Kartik Mistry. As soon as needed? Would it make sense to move to
collab-maint? The only reason it is under Debian Science is historical,
because the Apertium packages got their start in life there, and so all
Apertium dependencies inherited that.

-- Tino Didriksen