[libvoikko] Voikko and upcoming changes to Firefox extensions

Sjur Moshagen sjurnm at mac.com
Tue Mar 28 12:23:04 EEST 2017

Hi!

I’ve added a few comments inline below:

28. mars 2017 kl. 11.52 skrev Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at hsivonen.fi>:
> Have I understood the following correctly?
[...]
> * libvoikko-compatible dictionaries that are on the readiness level
> that they could quality-wise be exposed to end-users exist for
> Finnish, Greenlandic, North Sami and Kven.
> (http://divvun.no/libreofficeoxt.html and
> http://divvun.org/proofing/otherapps.html )

Also South and Lule Sami are on that level, Kven is not (yet). Skolt and Inari Sami is on a alpha quality / early beta quality level. All of Kven, Inari Sami and Skolt Sami are provided as an early-release service to the language communities, and it should always be communicated clearly that these spellers are lacking coverage in several areas (compounds, missing words, derivation, etc). Both we and the language communities still see them as valuable in their present shape, and that is why they are shipped.

> * The licensing situation for the Greenlandic, North Sami and Kven
> dictionaries is unclear.
> (https://victorio.uit.no/langtech/trunk/langs/kal/LICENCE)

(please use the url gtsvn.uit.no <http://gtsvn.uit.no/> going forward, victorio.uit.no <http://victorio.uit.no/> is just an alias for backwards compatibility, and may cease to resolve in the future.)

Yes, you are right, thanks for pointing this out. I will take action to resolve the issue.

> * There are dictionaries for 48 other language in development, also
> under unclear licensing status.
> (https://victorio.uit.no/langtech/trunk/langs/)

I will try to resolve the licensing situation for the most actively worked-on languages.

General comment & question:

All of these languages depend on the hfst-ospell library for run-time use, and in general on hfst to be built from source. Have all issues related to hfst and libvoikko been resolved now, or are there still open issues?

Regards,
Sjur