[libvoikko] Sámi/HFST , anything new?

Harri Pitkänen hatapitk at iki.fi
Tue Jun 1 23:26:55 EEST 2010

Are there any news on using Sámi/HFST with libvoikko? I have been following
changes in victorio.uit.no SVN repository and saw some testing stuff but could
not figure out whether it works or not. There were comments about --version
switch missing from voikkospell. I have added it today (in libvoikko SVN
trunk).

I also noticed that HFST trunk has switched to HFST 3. It has unfortunate
combination of some parts of the library being GPLv2, some Apache 2, some
files without explicit license header and toplevel COPYING containing GPLv3.
At least GPLv2 and Apache license appear to be incompatible so there seems to
be no valid license that allows distributing HFST 3 at all. This seems a bit
worrying. Are there any plans to relicense some parts of the library to fix
this? Or is it possible to continue using HFST 2 to compile the Sámi
morphology?

The reason I'm asking this is that I was wondering if I should continue with
the internationalization efforts for libvoikko 3.1 or leave them for 3.2.
There are some Finnish grammar checker improvements waiting that are not
urgent but would be nice to have. I personally consider internationalization
having higher priority but if HFST needs more time it will be easier for me to
work on Finnish issues first.