[libvoikko] C# interface for libvoikko

Harri Pitkänen hatapitk at iki.fi
Mon Apr 25 20:39:02 EEST 2011

I have started to develop a C# interface for libvoikko. Once it is done it
will allow using libvoikko in programs written for the .NET Common Language
Runtime in languages such as C#, Visual Basic, IronPython and some other
obscure languages from Microsoft. This interface will be very similar to the
existing Python and Java interfaces.

Early testers of this interface should note that it will be developed on Linux
using Mono and MonoDevelop. Thus if you want to try it on Windows you should
probably use Mono there as well instead of Visual Studio. The project files
should be compatible with Visual Studio project files but I'm not sure how
good the compatibility is. In any case the goal is to have the resulting
assembly remain compatible with both Mono and Microsoft .NET implementations
(.NET version requirement will probably be 3.5 or later).

It is also good to keep in mind that unlike Python and Java communities where
most of the widely used libraries are released under a GPL compatible license
the .NET projects tend to use quite varying licenses that are often
incompatible with each other and the GPL. For example ASP.NET (popular .NET
framework for web development) has multiple implementations and I'm not sure
if any of them is entirely GPL compatible. Libvoikko cannot be used as a part
of proprietary applications and this remains true also for its .NET interface.