[libvoikko] Libreoffice Voikko+HFST standalone extension for Mac issue

Harri Pitkänen hatapitk at iki.fi
Tue Sep 13 17:49:07 EEST 2011

On Tuesday 13 September 2011, Sjur Moshagen wrote:
> Using the following command I can see there are still 367 undefined symbols
> in libvoikko.a:
>
> $ nm -a alibs/libvoikko.a | grep ' U ' | sort -u | wc -l     367

Since .a is basically just a package of individual object files this command
will list all symbols that are undefined within a single compilation unit. It
does not mean that the symbols are undefined within the archive. You can see
that a symbol may be marked as undefined multiple times and then defined
elsewhere within the archive (the following is from Linux but should be
similar to OS X):

$ nm -a /tmp/t/usr/local/lib/libvoikko.a |grep
_ZN9libvoikko9character10SimpleChar7isUpperEw
                 U _ZN9libvoikko9character10SimpleChar7isUpperEw
                 U _ZN9libvoikko9character10SimpleChar7isUpperEw
                 U _ZN9libvoikko9character10SimpleChar7isUpperEw
0000000000000100 T _ZN9libvoikko9character10SimpleChar7isUpperEw
                 U _ZN9libvoikko9character10SimpleChar7isUpperEw
                 U _ZN9libvoikko9character10SimpleChar7isUpperEw
                 U _ZN9libvoikko9character10SimpleChar7isUpperEw

> Any help as to how to get the static build to work is really appreciated.

For us to know what really is undefined it is best to look at the linker error
message. If linker can't find something, it is really missing.

Also check that you list the static archives in correct order. Something was
said about that on the Apple page you linked to earlier.