[libvoikko] hfst-ospell and Windows [Was: The future of zhfst]

Sjur Moshagen sjurnm at mac.com
Wed Dec 11 17:17:40 EET 2013

20. nov. 2013 kl. 18:07 skrev Harri Pitkänen <hatapitk at iki.fi>:

>> libSystem.B.dylib can be ignored, but the rest seems like a real dependency
>> list.
>
> Looking at https://github.com/libarchive/libarchive/blob/master/configure.ac
> it looks like many of these dependencies are configurable and hardly necessary
> for uncompressing zip files. It might make sense to try rebuilding libarchive
> using "--without-xml2 --without-nettle --without-bz2lib --without-lzo2
> --without-lzma --without-iconv --without-zlib" and see if it makes a
> difference.

Thanks for that feedback. I have finally been able to get to this point on a MacOSX 10.6 system (the oldest supported system by LO 4.1, and thus the latest release of Libvoikko). This is the configuration I ended up with:

./configure --without-xml2 --without-nettle --without-bz2lib --without-lzo2 --without-lzma --without-iconv

That is, the only external dependency required for libarchive except system libs seems to be zlib. This is quite reasonable, and means that the total list of dependencies for hfst support in Libvoikko is now down to the following:

* hfst-ospell
* tinyxml
* libarchive
* zlib

I don’t see how this list can be squeezed further, and I don’t see any major need for it either.

Now - back to the original subject: with the dependency list considerably shortened, would it be possible to enable hfst support by default, and build and release a version of the LibreOffice Voikko plugin with Hfst support enabled? This is the One Big Thing that everyone in the Giellatekno/Divvun community is waiting for, since being able to support the Windows users is the number one requirement.

Regards,
Sjur