[libvoikko] hfst-ospell and Windows

Harri Pitkänen hatapitk at iki.fi
Sun Jun 30 21:49:47 EEST 2013

Has anyone tried to build hfst-ospell for Windows?

I spent a few minutes trying to figure out how easy it would be to build a
self contained version of libvoikko.dll for Windows with support for zhfst
spellers. As you may know libvoikko without zhfst only depends on standard
libraries (STL and compiler support library).

If we want to support zhfst spellers we need to build the following additional
libraries:

 * zhfst-ospell
   * libarchive
   * libxml++
     * libxml2
     * libglibmm
       * libglib2
       * libsigc++
         * libffi

Not the most convinient thing to do considering that we want to statically
link the standard libraries everywhere which most likely is not directly
supported by the build systems.

Then I found TinyXML2: http://www.grinninglizard.com/tinyxml2/
It might be used as a replacement for libxml++ and would kill the need for all
its dependencies, reducing the above list of dependencies from 8 to only 3
libraries.

At the moment I don't have time to build all 8 libraries for Windows or port
zhfst-ospell to use TinyXML. So for now this is all just theory. But if
someone is interested in working on this, let me know. I'm planning a new
binary release of libreoffice-voikko for Windows by the end of July and would
be happy to have it zhfst-enabled if there is interest for such thing.