[libvoikko] Mozvoikko needs to be signed and reviewed at addons.mozilla.org

Marko Wallin marko.wallin at iki.fi
Wed Aug 19 11:26:22 EEST 2015

On 19.8.2015 9.57, Sjur Moshagen wrote:
> [...]
>>> code used by the extension and perhaps other resources too. And
>>> the problem is that the extension at addons.m.o will never have
>>> the identical code: JavaScript might be the same but it calls
>>> native code that is platform dependent and cannot be the same on
>>> Windows and Linux. The native code can do anything so if the
>>> signature does not cover that it would defeat the purpose of
>>> signing.
>>>
>>> Additionally there is one question and answer at
>>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Addons/Extension_Signing that is
>>> understandable but perhaps a bit problematic for Linux
>>> distributions:
>>>
>>> ====
>>>
>>> * Will I need to sign the custom version of an existing add-on I
>>> created with my own code changes, locale additions, etc.?
>>>
>>> - If you use it on Release or Beta, yes. You will also need to
>>> change the add-on ID in order to submit it for signing.
>>>
>>> ====
>>>
>>> Since Mozvoikko has already been submitted to addons.mozilla.org
>>> (by Marko Wallin) I understand that nobody else can get a
>>> signature for an extension with the same identifier. So if for
>>> example I would want to sign my own version of Mozvoikko I would
>>> need to change the identifier.
>>>
>>> If this interpretation is correct we perhaps need to make the
>>> extension identifier easily configurable. This is not a difficult
>>> thing to do but I would first want to know if it is really
>>> needed. There is very little information available at the moment
>>> it seems.
>>>

>> The id for mozvoikko is already different in addons.mozilla.org
>> (fi at dictionaries.addons.mozilla.org) than on Git
>> ({b676e3ff-cda7-4e0c-b2b8-74e4bb40a67a}).
>>
>> Mozvoikko in AMO (addons.mozilla.org) is now for OS X and Windows
>> and the Linux version could be added separately. The addon owner
>> (yllapito at mozilla.fi) can add authors who can manage the files and
>> submit the addon to be reviewed and signed.
>>
>> The other option, what I understand, is to make new addon entry for
>> Linux which is unlisted and not distributed on AMO. But the same
>> author limitation still would exist, who can submit the addon to be
>> signed.
>
> I don’t quite follow - but let’s take an example, and try to figure
> out how to proceed:
>
> Harri has extended the Mozvoikko code lately to support multiple
> languages, and has build a new set of libraries with support for both
> the Vfst and Zhfst dictionary formats. We in Tromsø intent to use
> this version of Mozvoikko to provide downloadable Mozvoikko
> extensions for a number of languages, by just adding the relevant
> zhfst file to the package. This makes for one Mozvoikko file per
> language,  from the start around 10 languages, and expanding (we have
> about 40 languages being worked on more or less actively, and new
> languages are being added regularly).
>
> Questions: * who can update the AMO version to include the latest

For now Ville Pohjanheimo (yllapito at mozilla.fi) and I can update the AMO
version.

> * do what you write above imply that Harri and possibly others can be
> added to the author list, and then get access to the signing using
> the existing AMO id?

Yep.

> * can we in Tromsø use the same id to distribute a number of
> different Mozvoikko plugins, where the only difference is the
> included language/spelling dictionary, or do we need one id for each
> language?

AMO supports only one addon package so you would need one id for each
language. Like the addon id is now "fi at dictionaries...".

As there's not much information how the signing works if you don't
distribute the addon in AMO (unlisted addon) so it could be possible to
have one id and just change the languages inside.

> * what is the best way to manage (AMO) support for many languages
> using the same Mozvoikko codebase?

The other question is does user need to have multiple mozvoikko addons
for different languages and how does that work out? Or does the user get
just basic addon package from AMO and have the language/spelling
dictionaries outside the addon?

// Marko