[libvoikko] Mozvoikko needs to be signed and reviewed at addons.mozilla.org

Andris Pavenis andris.pavenis at iki.fi
Wed Aug 19 18:31:53 EEST 2015

On 08/19/2015 09:57 AM, Sjur Moshagen wrote:
> Harri has extended the Mozvoikko code lately to support multiple languages, and has build a new set of libraries with support for both the Vfst and Zhfst dictionary formats. We in Tromsø intent to use this version of Mozvoikko to provide downloadable Mozvoikko extensions for a number of languages, by just adding the relevant zhfst file to the package. This makes for one Mozvoikko file per language,  from the start around 10 languages, and expanding (we have about 40 languages being worked on more or less actively, and new languages are being added regularly).
>
> Questions:
> * who can update the AMO version to include the latest work by Harri?
> * do what you write above imply that Harri and possibly others can be added to the author list, and then get access to the signing using the existing AMO id?
> * can we in Tromsø use the same id to distribute a number of different Mozvoikko plugins, where the only difference is the included language/spelling dictionary, or do we need one id for each language?
> * what is the best way to manage (AMO) support for many languages using the same Mozvoikko codebase?

One of ways could be add additional language data files in a separate extension which registers
them for core Mozvoikko extension to use (similarly like Mozvoikko registers itself as an external
spellchecker). Mozvoikko could then look-up entries in some category like mozvoikko-language
defined by language data extensions and add these languages to supported ones.

Language data extension could have something like

category mozvoikko-language @foo.bar;1 foo

om chrome.manifest. Language data extension should not need anything executable at all.

There could problems with this as it's against recommendations

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/Extension_etiquette

I think however that this case could be exception when  such dependencies could be acceptable. One
may need however convince somebody in AMO (hopefully not for any new update)

Andris