[libvoikko] HFST support to libvoikko in Debian and Ubuntu?

Krister Lindén krister.linden at helsinki.fi
Wed Feb 24 18:17:05 EET 2016

On 24.2.2016 13:59, Timo Jyrinki wrote:
>>> As for HFST support, I can start enabling it or people can submit git
>>> requests to it later at
>>> http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/libvoikko.git/ - when
>>> everything needed and useful dictionaries are in Debian.
>>
>> Definitely need zhfst support, as both Giellatekno and Apertium produce
>> zhfst spellers.
>
> Are there people on the HFST side who could join Ubuntu efforts a bit
> too? In essence, it's mostly nothing because everything would come
> directly from Debian, but initially it would mean:
> - Going through MainInclusionProcess
> (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MainInclusionProcess) for both hfst and
> hfst-ospell. Old MIR bugs can be looked at when uncertain. Both are
> relatively mature projects, and supporting people using any language
> is one of the original goals of Ubuntu so I believe there should be no
> problems completing the process given all requirements are otherwise
> met.
> - MIRing would require a Launchpad team to be created, for example
> 'hfst-team' that can be subscribed to the (theoretical) Ubuntu bugs
> against hfst or hfst-ospell. I would gladly join the team and also
> move foma bug subcription over there from the current not so optimal
> team.
>
> Thirdly, just another "would be nice to know" detail, is there a plan
> when hfst-ospell would move to Debian unstable? Otherwise it won't get
> to be available in Ubuntu.
>
> If there are people who could help, please start by creating a team at
> https://launchpad.net/people/+newteam and getting at least a couple of
> people joined there (me included). That would be a good start for now,
> and the MIR bugs can be created later since they won't be handled
> before Ubuntu 16.10 development opens in April anyway, and the
> hfst-ospell also gets synced to Ubuntu only at that point.

As head of the HFST team at UHEL, I appreciate your efforts and would
gladly see that Sam Hardwick and Erik Axelson help you with furthering
the hfst and hfst-ospell code as needed.

Many questions were already clarified in follow-up messages, in which
Sam Hardwick was included, but this was the main question that was left
dangling where I guess my input is needed.

--
Krister