[libvoikko] libvoikko 4.0, voikko-fi 2.0 and libreoffice-voikko 5.0

Sjur Moshagen sjurnm at mac.com
Thu Jan 7 16:18:21 EET 2016

16. des. 2015 kl. 16:52 skrev Harri Pitkänen <hatapitk at iki.fi <mailto:hatapitk at iki.fi>>:

> On Wednesday 16 December 2015 10:16:56 Sjur Moshagen wrote:
>> This is all fine except for one major drawback: you can’t install multiple
>> languages.
>
> This should work just the same way as it has worked before.
>
> When you build libvoikko you need to use configuration option
>
> --with-dictionary-path=/usr/lib/voikko:/Library/Spelling/voikko

The main purpose of this is to allow users to install additional languages without installing multiple versions of whatever speller tool they have installed already. Installing multiple versions of e.g. LO-voikko is not working anyway, the new one will replace the old one.

Because of the above requirement, we need to define and stick to a common set of (platform specific) dictionary directories, which are always searched. End users should not have to fine-read the readme file to be able to install multiple languages or to find out that it is not possible in the first place. In this respect

https://github.com/voikko/corevoikko/issues/13 <https://github.com/voikko/corevoikko/issues/13>

is not a solution, since we now depend on each developer to remember to set the search path, and do it consistently for all platforms, and identically by all developers. This will be error prone, and will most likely create a frustrating user experience for multilingual users. While the old solution was not perfect, and made less and less sense (and was in some cases wrong), it would at least give a bare minimum of default locations you could trust. Now there is none.

I suggest that some default locations are reinstated in libvoikko, with the following minimum values:

Linux:
- ~/.voikko
<please suggest more, I have too little knowledge>

OSX:
- ~/Library/Spelling/voikko
- /Library/Spelling/voikko
- <whatever is suggested for Linux>

Windows:
- %APPDATA%\voikko
- …possibly more

Given something like this, and given that we can always assume these to be searched, it will be much easier to provide a decent user experience for our multilingual users.

Sjur