[libvoikko] libvoikko 4.0, voikko-fi 2.0 and libreoffice-voikko 5.0

Harri Pitkänen hatapitk at iki.fi
Sat Jan 9 18:54:57 EET 2016

On Friday 08 January 2016 09:25:35 Kevin Brubeck Unhammer wrote:
> Sjur Moshagen <sjurnm at mac.com> čálii:
> > Linux:
> > - ~/.voikko
> > <please suggest more, I have too little knowledge>
>
> Many[1] "modern" Linux programs now follow this spec:
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html
> which would suggest searching the prioritied list of
>
> $XDG_DATA_HOME/voikko
> $HOME/.local/share/voikko
> $HOME/.voikko              # for backwards compatibility

Strictly speaking I understand that if $XDG_DATA_HOME is defined then we
should NOT check $HOME/.local/share/voikko at all (unless $XDG_DATA_HOME is
$HOME/.local/share).

If we follow this specification then it would be slightly more complicated to
provide instructions for the end users on how to add personal dictionary
files. They would first have to check the value of that environment variable.

Since Voikko does not create these directories or write anything to them I
think that it is easiest to continue documenting $HOME/.voikko as the place to
store user specific dictionary files. That would work across different
versions of libvoikko and also on traditional Unix systems that do not follow
the new specification.

But then again there would be little harm in supporting XDG_DATA_HOME if
$HOME/.voikko would still be the primary location (from documentation point of
view and perhaps in search order too). And if we ever decide that libvoikko
needs to write something to user's home directory then of course we should do
that under XDG_DATA_HOME.