[libvoikko] Voikko and upcoming changes to Firefox extensions

Tino Didriksen mail at tinodidriksen.com
Wed Mar 29 10:23:56 EEST 2017

On 29 March 2017 at 09:00, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at hsivonen.fi> wrote:

> Based on the results, it
> turns out that there exists only three implementations of the
> mozISpellCheckingEngine: the one within the Firefox code base for the
> Mozilla fork of Hunspell and two libvoikko-based ones (for Finnish and
> Greenlandic).

The Greenlandic one does not use libvoikko. The backend is a tiny
forwarding DLL that runs hfst-ospell. There is no reason it couldn't use
libvoikko + hfst-ospell, though.

> I don't know if the Apple and
> Microsoft-provided system services support Finnish or Greenlandic (the
> two libvoikko languages that currently are supported in Firefox via
> XPCOM extensions) or if they do a good job spell checking them.

Finnish is natively supported, but no clue about quality. Greenlandic is
not supported.

But you're right that it's a moot point. There is no cross-platform support
for all the languages we eventually want to spell and grammar check, and
Hunspell cannot handle the complexity of those languages. We need a better
cross-platform backend, and libvoikko + hfst-ospell would certainly satisfy
this.

-- Tino Didriksen