[libvoikko] Voikko and Enchant 2

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 12:21:44 EET 2020

to 20. helmik. 2020 klo 1.00 Harri Pitkänen (hatapitk at iki.fi) kirjoitti:
> There is one thing that might be worth checking: here at line 134
>

> https://github.com/AbiWord/enchant/blob/master/providers/enchant_voikko.c#L134
>
> existence of the requested dictionary is checked by exact string
> comparison. It might be that the client application has slightly
> different convention for naming languages and that could cause trouble.

I tried removing that check but that made dictionaries disappear completely.

As I also found Voikko seems to be working everywhere else but when
used via gspell (using Enchant), it's probably gspell that is doing
something wrong. And more exactly, gspell is doing spell checking
correctly when asked for that specifically, but fails when doing
gedit's "automatic underlining" ie what is called inline spell
checking in gspell code.

So this is the most current bug description I have:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gspell/issues/10

Especially given the last detail where it works if there are country
specific language variants available, it's quite clear it is something
small but I was unable to pinpoint a problem as of yet.

If someone wants to have a tried, I'd suggest:

git clone https://salsa.debian.org/gnome-team/gspell.git

(I had a bit more trouble with autotools with the upstream source
repository, this seemed to start compiling more easily)

-Timo