[libvoikko] Libvoikko compiled for Android

Harri Pitkänen hatapitk at iki.fi
Mon Aug 13 20:26:43 EEST 2012

On Monday 13 August 2012, Flammie Pirinen wrote:
> One thing to note though, the read_legacy code had even less error and
> exception checking than zhfst one, so it'll segfault on all stranger
> conditions, but this should be easy to avoid by test running all
> dictionary packages (and easy to implement more properly, if I had
> time).

I don't think this is a problem for Android since typical users would have no
easy way to break or replace the included transducers.

> Also, I think it should also be possible to just upgrade zhfst's into
> vfst's for android and work with that. Even though most android 4
> devices will already be more powerful than the minilaptop I'm using now
> with zhfst dictionaries, the lower memory foot print and all is very
> much appreciated in mobile devices. It'd be very nice to have vfst as
> one of the backends in libhfst, even if just for write-only support.

This would be an option if the speller and error model were unweighted and
otherwise "small" enough to fit the size constraints for VFST transducers. But
it looks like zhfst error models are weighted and weights are actually used
(at least in the year old sme error model I have here).

So we would have no way of sorting the suggestions, other than that this could
work easily.