[libvoikko] Libvoikko compiled for Android

Harri Pitkänen hatapitk at iki.fi
Mon Aug 13 20:52:19 EEST 2012

On Monday 13 August 2012, Harri Pitkänen wrote:
> On Monday 13 August 2012, Flammie Pirinen wrote:
> > Also, I think it should also be possible to just upgrade zhfst's into
> > vfst's for android and work with that. Even though most android 4
> > devices will already be more powerful than the minilaptop I'm using now
> > with zhfst dictionaries, the lower memory foot print and all is very
> > much appreciated in mobile devices. It'd be very nice to have vfst as
> > one of the backends in libhfst, even if just for write-only support.
>
> This would be an option if the speller and error model were unweighted and
> otherwise "small" enough to fit the size constraints for VFST transducers.
> But it looks like zhfst error models are weighted and weights are actually
> used (at least in the year old sme error model I have here).
>
> So we would have no way of sorting the suggestions, other than that this
> could work easily.

Actually VFST will have limited support for weights that might be enough here.
I was only going to implement it after completing the Malaga->VFST conversion
but of course I could do it earlier if it is useful.

Weights would be implemented by converting weights other than one into special
epsilon symbols and a weighted transition will be replaced with two
transitions: weight_transition -> original_transition. This is of course
inefficient if there are lots of transitions with weights other than 1 but
should work nicely if such transitions are relatively rare. And you cannot
have very many different weight values in use so some approximation will be
needed if original transducer is in a format that uses floating point weights
with high precision.