[libvoikko] Mozvoikko 2.2

Harri Pitkänen hatapitk at iki.fi
Sat Sep 19 10:57:45 EEST 2015

On Friday 18 September 2015 21:45:30 Timo Jyrinki wrote:
> While he mentions the AMO option, the unanswered question is how that
> could ever be in the default installation if it'd only be on AMO. I
> now replied that it's a reason enough to keep mozvoikko in the
> archives. Most average users wouldn't know about extensions, just the
> fact of missing spell-checking in the browser.

I just tested that "Suomen kielen oikolukusanasto 2.0.1-signed" can be
installed from AMO on Linux and it still works just fine. Later versions
cannot be installed on Linux but I believe the support has been disabled just
to avoid confusion.

So if Ubuntu decides to prefer the AMO option I don't think we should upload
two different Finnish spell checkers there but just re-allow installing the
latest version on Linux as well.

> But it would sound like a full review of the current mozvoikko 2.2
> would resolve the problem.

That would be possible. But I would suggest that you would discuss and make a
long(er) term decision between Ubuntu maintainers, other distro maintainers
and mozilla.fi people on where the Linux support should come from,
distributions or AMO. I got the impression that Ubuntu Firefox maintainers
really would prefer the AMO option even if the user experience was worse than
it is now.