[libvoikko] HFST support to libvoikko in Debian and Ubuntu?

Sjur Moshagen sjurnm at mac.com
Wed Feb 24 17:38:10 EET 2016

24. feb. 2016 kl. 15:52 skrev Timo Jyrinki <timo.jyrinki at gmail.com>:
> Sorry, I keep mixing all the different groups working in this area :)

No wonder:)

Just to (hopefully) clarify the picture, there are three clearly identifyable groups (in addition to the libvoikko developers and interested individuals):

* the Hfst team at Helsinki university
* the Divvun group at UiT the Arctic University of Norway
* the Giellatekno group, also at UiT the Arctic University of Norway

The two last groups both work on Sámi language technology, but from different perspectives and with different foci - the Giellatekno group is more research oriented, while the Divvun group is supposed to serve the Sámi community at large by e.g. providing tools and services. Our activies do overlap, and we work off the same code base. Of course also a lot of the Sámi language technology development is a cooperation between the two groups

All three has come a bit from the outside wrt Voikko, starting out with the work on defining the zhfst file format, and adding support for it via the hfst-ospell backend in libvoikko. I am very happy that Harri has been so positive and supportive of adding this support.

It has taken some time, but I am happy that we are now starting to discuss inclusion in Debian and Ubuntu:)

Sjur