[libvoikko] Setting up HFST morphology backend

Harri Pitkänen hatapitk at iki.fi
Tue Apr 27 19:27:39 EEST 2010

On Tuesday 27 April 2010, Sjur Moshagen wrote:
> Now the error message is:
>
> a83-245-189-120:libvoikko sjur$ voikkospell -s -d fi-x-hfst
> E: Initialization of Voikko failed: Failed to create analyzer because of
>  unknown morphology backend
>
> which probably indicates something went wrong during libvoikko compilation
>  (I did specify to include support for hfst).

Then it's possible that don't have pkg-config installed and didn't notice the
errors during configure (if I remember correctly this does not cause configure
to fail, just print an error and continue). Install it so that pkg-config
binary is in $PATH when you run configure and make sure that PKG_CONFIG_PATH
contains the directory where hfst.pc is installed.

This is yet another thing to check for in the configure script and mention in
the documentation... although this is only needed with the experimental
backends.

If this does not help, check whether config.h (created as a result of running
configure) contains the line

  #define HAVE_HFST 1