[libvoikko] Setting up HFST morphology backend

Sjur Moshagen sjurnm at mac.com
Wed Apr 28 12:34:22 EEST 2010

Den 27. apr. 2010 kl. 19.27 skrev Harri Pitkänen:

> On Tuesday 27 April 2010, Sjur Moshagen wrote:
>> Now the error message is:
>>
>> a83-245-189-120:libvoikko sjur$ voikkospell -s -d fi-x-hfst
>> E: Initialization of Voikko failed: Failed to create analyzer because of
>> unknown morphology backend
>>
>> which probably indicates something went wrong during libvoikko compilation
>> (I did specify to include support for hfst).
>
> Then it's possible that don't have pkg-config installed

I do.

> and didn't notice the
> errors during configure (if I remember correctly this does not cause configure
> to fail, just print an error and continue).

At least in my case pkg-config DID stop when it could not find the hfst.pc file.

> Install it so that pkg-config
> binary is in $PATH when you run configure and make sure that PKG_CONFIG_PATH
> contains the directory where hfst.pc is installed.

I did, and that corrected the build phase. So it seems to me that I actually *did* build libvoikko with the hfst backend support included, just that it doesn't work.

> This is yet another thing to check for in the configure script and mention in
> the documentation... although this is only needed with the experimental
> backends.
>
> If this does not help, check whether config.h (created as a result of running
> configure) contains the line
>
>  #define HAVE_HFST 1

It does.

I still get:

a83-245-189-120:voikko sjur$ voikkospell -s -d fi-x-hfst
E: Initialization of Voikko failed: Failed to create analyzer because of unknown morphology backend

Best,
Sjur