[libvoikko] HFST licensing

Krister Lindén krister.linden at helsinki.fi
Wed Jun 2 23:30:06 EEST 2010

With some additional guidance from our legal advisor:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html:
"The Free Software Foundation considers the Apache License, Version 2.0
to be a free software license, compatible with version 3 of the GPL. The
Software Freedom Law Center provides practical advice for developers
about including permissively licensed source.

Apache 2 software can therefore be included in GPLv3 projects, because
the GPLv3 license accepts our software into GPLv3 works. However, GPLv3
software cannot be included in Apache projects. The licenses are
incompatible in one direction only, and it is a result of ASF's
licensing philosophy and the GPLv3 authors' interpretation of copyright
law."

Indeed, GPL v2 and v3 are incompatible, but "GPL v2 or later"
constitutes a multiple licensing scheme with which the Apache license is
again compatible. So when the HFST library is licensed as "GPLv2 or
later", the HFST library is compatible with each of its implementation
libraries.

Krister