[libvoikko] Replacing SVN with Git for version control

Teemu Likonen tlikonen at iki.fi
Tue Mar 2 22:37:04 EET 2010

* 2010-03-02 21:58 (+0200), Harri Pitkänen wrote:

> I have been thinking about switching some components of Voikko from
> Subversion to Git. If I remember correctly Teemu suggested the switch
> almost two years ago. Back then I did not want to do that because Git
> was relatively new.

Yes, it was about two years ago and since then I've been interacting
with Voikko SVN repositories through "git svn" interface. If you more
active developers decide to switch from SVN to Git (which I support) I
could offer my help for converting and splitting the repository. I've
been maintaining my personal Git clone so that it contains all the
information and could be used as the base for the official conversion.

For example, I have added Git tags to the commits from which the SVN
tags were derived and copied your release notes to tags' messages. I
believe that I could convert the current SVN branches to Git-like
branches too. This won't happen automatically because the branch/
hierarchy is quite different from trunk's.