[libvoikko] Request for info: languages and spell checking in openoffice.org-voikko

Harri Pitkänen hatapitk at iki.fi
Thu Feb 10 22:10:54 EET 2011

On Thursday 10 February 2011, Sjur Moshagen wrote:
> {"sjd", "sjd", "RU"}
>
> (Kildin Sámi).

Thanks, I added that now.

> We do have some rudimentary morphologies for other Sámi languages as well,
> but these lack support in OOo/LibreOffice at the moment.

Actually it appears that there is no full locale data for any Sámi languages
in these applications. This means that for example "Sami, Northern (Norway)"
is not available as default document language (Tools -> Options -> Language
Settings -> Languages -> Default languages for documents). But you can use it
as text language (Format -> Character -> Font -> Language) and spell checking.

If this level of support is sufficient also for the missing languages, all I
need to know is the preferred language code (language-REGION) for them. I can
then add the mappings to openoffice.org-voikko and submit a request to have
the languages added to OOo and LibreOffice.

If on the other hand you would like to have the Sámi languages supported as
proper locales (and appear as a choice for default document language etc.) we
need the full locale data. Names for months and days of week, decimal
separator, currency and things like that. In the end we need to produce a file
like this:

  http://hg.services.openoffice.org/DEV300/file/dae1ffc5c15d/i18npool/source/localedata/data/sv_SE.xml