[libvoikko] libreoffice-voikko 3.2rc1

Harri Pitkänen hatapitk at iki.fi
Mon Feb 14 10:27:13 EET 2011

On Monday 14 February 2011, Sjur Moshagen wrote:
> > With my work macbook I have two HFST dictionaries, omorfi ans
> > greenlandic, which seems to work, so my initial impression would be that
> > the dictionaries can be distributed much in the same way as hunspell
> > ones. For linux world it's easy to imagine distros with language
> > packages and dictionaries. For other systems, any of the options above
> > seems reasonable. One other scheme I've thought in conjunction with
> > zhfst format is small dictionary manager which could provide one-click
> > installation of dictionaries from the web and for example autoupdate for
> > those?
>
> Would it be possible to completely separate the extension and the
> dictionary files such that LO-voikko would use whatever dicts are
> installed in a number of predefined locations?

This is already possible, you would just need to create installer for the
dictionaries. Libvoikko will look for dictionaries from four different
locations (one of them is platform dependent). See "Search order for
dictionary files" in README:

http://voikko.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/voikko/trunk/libvoikko/README?revision=3721&view=markup

1) is what standalone installations of the extension normally use and 5) is
what is used in Linux distribution packages.

In practice installation on Windows could be handled by creating a MSI
installer for every dictionary. The installer would place the dictionaries
under some appropriate location (c:\program files\voikko\... or something like
that) and modify HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Voikko\DictionaryPath to point to
that directory if it has not already set. If it has been previously set, the
installer would try to install the files to whatever directory has been
specified there.

MSI installers for Voikko dictionaries have already been created in the past.
They just have not been released under any free/open license.

For OS X it will presumably be possible to set up something similar. I don't
know the system well enough to say how it should work though.