[libvoikko] voikkospell segmentation fault + Sámi+hfst questions

Sjur Moshagen sjurnm at mac.com
Tue Sep 6 07:45:15 EEST 2011

Den 5. sep. 2011 kl. 18.38 skrev Harri Pitkänen:

> On Monday 05 September 2011, Sjur Moshagen wrote:
>> $ voikkospell -s -d se
>> E: Initialization of Voikko failed: Failed to create speller because
>> backend configuration could not be parsed
>>
>> There can be several sources of this error:
>> * the alphabet.hfstol file is bad for SE (but I don't know what it is
>> expected to be) - Tommi, can you answer that? * also, I'm using HFST3
>> files now, it might be that the hfst backend code doesn't yet support that
>> - Tommi, what is the status? * and it migth well be that I haven't been
>> able to compile libvoikko with proper hfst backend support
>>
>> Any feedback welcome:)
>
> The last one (libvoikko compiled without hfst backend support) is one
> possibility. Problems with *.hfstol files should not show up this way.

I did compile with the proper option set, but could it be possible that the hfst libs aren't found at runtime (which is probably required when dynamically linked)? I have installed HFST in a non-standard location (--prefix=$HOME), but got the linking etc to work during compilation. I had expected that to be enough - but is it?

> The other possibility is that there is a typo in the configuration line that
> specifies the speller backend. I'm not sure if the code is sensitive to line
> endings. Try downloading (not copy-pasting) the configuration file from here:
>
>  http://www.puimula.org/htp/tmp/voikko-fi_FI.pro
>
> If that turns out to be the problem we need to fix the setup code.

No, it is not. I wget-ed your file, replacing my own copy, and I still get exactly the same problem. At the moment I have the following languages/morphologies installed in ~/.voikko/2/:

$ voikkospell -l
se-x-standard: Kokeellinen pohjoissaamen morfologia # the North Sami hfst morphology I am trying to debug
fi-x-standard: Voikon perussanasto                  # Finnish Malaga
fi-x-hfst: Kokeellinen HFST-morfologia              # Finnish hfst, *.hfstol files from omorfi, june this year
fi-x-hfstold: First Kokeellinen HFST-morfologia     # an older Finnish hfst, using *.hwfst files, from April last year

Malaga is working fine, the two Finnish ones don't, and give the same error message, and the Sámi one is also still not working, but giving a different error message:

$ voikkospell -s -d fi    # Malaga
testti
W: testti
S: testi
S: testit
S: teetti

$ voikkospell -s -d fi-x-hfst
E: Initialization of Voikko failed: Failed to create analyzer because of unknown morphology backend

$ voikkospell -s -d fi-x-hfstold
E: Initialization of Voikko failed: Failed to create analyzer because of unknown morphology backend

$ voikkospell -s -d se
E: Initialization of Voikko failed: Failed to create speller because backend configuration could not be parsed

If all hfst spellers at least had failed the same way! Frustrating :(

Sjur