[libvoikko] grammar checker checks

Harri Pitkänen hatapitk at iki.fi
Fri Dec 13 18:27:50 EET 2013

On Thursday 12 December 2013 22:20:55 Sjur Moshagen wrote:
> 1) supported lexicons
>
> What would the supported lexicons of Voikko-in-LO-core be? Would zhfst be
> one of the formats?

I have no concrete plans on that yet. The decisions and the actual work might
be done by someone else than me. If I were to implement this I would implement
a solution that used dlopen() (or equivalent) to open libvoikko from
LibreOffice core. If that turns out to be acceptable then support for actual
formats would depend on which build of libvoikko (if any) would be bundled
with the installation set.

> 2) open vs closed list of supported languages

> The proper solution is of course to do it like Hunspell (or close to it):
> Let the language/locale be deducted from the filename (and verified by the
> index.xml content) - and that’s it. No hard-coded list of known languages:
> as long as the filename/metadata locale id follows certain standards for
> locale identification, that should be it.
>
> I understand that LO is a big beast, and that it will take time to implement
> something like this. But I see no reason for LO-Voikko to continue along
> the present path. At least there will be one less hurdle to get any new
> language supported. And I hope that the present work on getting Voikko
> supported in the LO core could also move LO in that direction.

Lots of this is already implemented in LibreOffice 4.2. But it we must keep in
mind that automatic support for unknown languages will necessarily be limited.
For example interoperability with various file formats requires knowing the
Microsoft language id for the language. The default writing direction, layout
mode or tokenization rules might not be suitable for the language etc.

Libreoffice-voikko does not support this new feature yet. I had hoped to add
support for it in version 4.0 but ended up spending the time on other things
(such as the grammar checker changes).