[libvoikko] Libreoffice-voikko and 64 bit LibreOffice on OS X

Sjur Moshagen sjurnm at mac.com
Mon Jan 27 23:40:44 EET 2014

27. jan. 2014 kl. 16:50 skrev Harri Pitkänen <hatapitk at iki.fi>:

> I'd like to know if libreoffice-voikko (or more specifically any of the
> available binary extensions) works with 64 bit LibreOffice on OS X. I believe
> some people on this list have a 64 bit Mac; if you do, please download this
> pre-release build of LibreOffice 4.2
>
>  http://www.libreoffice.org/download/?type=mac-x86_64&version=4.2.0

done

> and try installing for example this extension
>
>  http://verteksi.net/lab/libreoffice-voikko/

done

> and/or any of your own builds

done as well

> and let me know if they work for you.

None of them work. This is because both the verteksi oxt and my own are 32-bit only, and thus can’t work:

$ file ../../Library/Application\ Support/LibreOffice/4/user/extensions/tmp/extensions/luy8mlnd.tmp_/voikko.oxt/voikko.dylib
../../Library/Application Support/LibreOffice/4/user/extensions/tmp/extensions/luy8mlnd.tmp_/voikko.oxt/voikko.dylib: Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386

(my own oxt)

$ file ../../Library/Application\ Support/LibreOffice/4/user/extensions/tmp/extensions/luy8mlnm.tmp_/libreoffice-voikko_2013-12-07_a2.oxt/voikko.dylib
../../Library/Application Support/LibreOffice/4/user/extensions/tmp/extensions/luy8mlnm.tmp_/libreoffice-voikko_2013-12-07_a2.oxt/voikko.dylib: Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386

(the verteksi oxt)

I also installed the corresponding LibreOffice 4.2 SDK, and tried to compile a new 64 bit oxt, but it failed because of architecture-related linking issues:

ld: warning: ignoring file /Users/smo036//macosx/lib/libuno_cppuhelpergcc3.dylib, file was built for x86_64 which is not the architecture being linked (i386): /Users/smo036//macosx/lib/libuno_cppuhelpergcc3.dylib
ld: warning: ignoring file /Users/smo036//macosx/lib/libuno_cppu.dylib, file was built for x86_64 which is not the architecture being linked (i386): /Users/smo036//macosx/lib/libuno_cppu.dylib
ld: warning: ignoring file /Users/smo036//macosx/lib/libuno_sal.dylib, file was built for x86_64 which is not the architecture being linked (i386): /Users/smo036//macosx/lib/libuno_sal.dylib
Undefined symbols for architecture i386:
  "cppu::OWeakObject::queryAdapter()", referenced from:

All my own libraries are universal binaries (both 32 and 64 bit, Intel), but the 4.2 app and SDK seems to be 64-bit only. I would have expected it to be a universal binary as well, and that the oxt build would produce a universal binary oxt. But it seems not.

> I would like to have this information so that I can provide correct
> information for the users of OS X. If the currently available extensions don't
> work we need to instruct the users of libreoffice-voikko to download a 32 bit
> LibreOffice instead (which may cause compatibility issues with the latest Java
> for OS X).

It looks like this is necessary right now, but it should be possible to build 64-bit versions as well as universal version.

Sjur